Friday, May 25, 2007

What Vanish Bug?*

(*actually applies to any two events that happen too closely together)


For HQ version - vanish.wmv

If the hunter's mark hit first, then the vanish should have cleared it. If the vanish hit first, then I should have never got hit with hunter's mark to begin with. The hunter was way too far away to see me while vanished, even with track hidden up.

It seems to me that when two events happen within x seconds of each other the Blizzard game engine (out of fairness for people with low latencies - this is what the global cooldowns are all about too, ladies and gents) calls it a draw and views them as simultaneous events and says that both events happened. BUT, it seems that vanish gets the short end of the stick in these situations an inordinate amount of times.

In other words, the vanish event usually gets #@#$ed, but not always.

I've had situations where my KS was "simultaneous" to another rogue's vanish and their vanish is the one that held true. I've vanished a warrior's charge and cheapshotted him. However, it seems that the vanish is the event that gets screwed 90% of the time.

Now, this doesn't only effect vanish. I'm sure many of you could of swore you got that kick in before the polymorph and sure enough, after you go back and check the combat log you did get the kick in before the polymorph and it even says you interrupted it! Yet, you still became a sheep.

Simultaneous gouges anyone? Simultaneous kidney shot right after the simultaneous gouge? Seriously what are the chances you both did the same action twice in a row at the same exact time?

One of you was faster, there is no doubt about it. The WoW game engine just can't recognize that, and willingfully so (fairness to those with low latency, remember).

So, when your vanish shows up before the hunter's mark in your combat log what does it mean? Does it mean that you were really first, but the game engine is being fair to other guy by giving a time cushion where it considers your two events as simultaneous. Or does it put the events up there in alphabetical order? Hrm... abcdefgh... Maybe it's reverse alphabetical order? Kick...polymorph. Hrm... Or maybe it just makes a call to its psuedo-random number generator: /random 0 1

The world may never know, but if Blizzard makes this into an esport stuff like this is going to determine some outcomes. INSTANT REPLAY PLEASE!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

So that's what happens, I've always wondered. A duel a had a long time ago springs to mind, rogue vs rogue where we did simultaneous CS's, Gouge's and KS's. God that was hilarious.

Good to see you finally got your own blog, so I can stop lurking World of Ming, that guy is the essence of a megalomaniac.

Raggok said...

I'm not *positive* that what happens, I'm just taking an educated guess on many many observations of this "bug."

The observed data seems to fit the hypothesis.

Raggok said...

Oh, and I wouldn't stop lurking Ming's site, it does actually have good info most of the time. But, yeah... I need to learn to bite my tongue more. :P

Unknown said...

I guess you're right about the info part, I could just read the articles without sifting through the millions of flaming comments attached to them. Anyhoo, keep up the good work and make some more movies, they are dangerously inspiring. (I went hemo after I saw your early movies ;))

Better end this post before I turn into some rambling fanboi though.

P.S. I'm that "Tom" guy... stupid Gmail account info *shakes fist*

SUKRET said...

The same thing also happens to mages. Once I got sheeped, and my opponent got CSed at the same time... Gouge and blink happened together a few times too, I was incapacitated after blinking away from the rogue.

Raggok said...

Yup, it's not just a vanish bug. It applies to everything.